* Problem with shift-up
@ 2011-08-19 15:10 Peter Frings
From: Peter Frings @ 2011-08-19 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi gang,

sorry to bother you all again, but my transition to the new emacs is now taking days and I’m getting really frustrated.

I’m trying to find out why shift-arrow on a date/time stamp no longer works with my brand new and shiny set-up.

Emacs 23, org-mode 7.7.

When running a minimal set-up (as described on the worg-FAQ), the shift-arrows keys work as expected: they change the date and time values in org’s timestamps.

When loading the starter-kit from Kieran Healy [1], things are not so smooth. I’ve been disabling all possible packages, trying to isolate the culprit, but to no avail. I searched the web and this mailing list, and found someone else with the same problem [2], but alas, no conclusive answer.

In both cases, 'shift-select-mode’ is t.

With the minimal set-up,  S-up is bound to this (using C-h k):
<S-up> runs the command org-shiftup, which is an interactive compiled
Lisp function in `org.el’.

With the starter-kit, it’s:
<up> (translated from <S-up>) runs the command previous-line, which is
an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el’.

What the heck is ‘translating’ this key binding? How can I find the guilty one so I can do very cruel things to it?

Pointers very much appreciated!
Peter.

[1] http://kjhealy.github.com/emacs-starter-kit/
[2] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/34329

* Re: Problem with shift-up
@ 2011-08-19 20:10 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-19 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

Peter Frings <peter.frings@agfa.com> writes:

> When loading the starter-kit from Kieran Healy [1],

AFAIU, this starter-kit relies on the commit c88c76b of Org:
https://github.com/kjhealy/emacs-starter-kit/tree/master/src

Please make sure to report what your exact version of Org is (M-x
org-version), that might help.

> In both cases, 'shift-select-mode’ is t.

What is the value of `org-support-shift-select'?  Maybe the
starter-kit is setting this variable.

> With the minimal set-up,  S-up is bound to this (using C-h k):
> <S-up> runs the command org-shiftup, which is an interactive compiled
> Lisp function in `org.el’.

Good :)

> With the starter-kit, it’s:
> <up> (translated from <S-up>) runs the command previous-line, which is
> an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el’.
>
> What the heck is ‘translating’ this key binding?

When a composed keybinding like <S-up> does not point to any command,
Emacs "translates" it to <up> and use the associated command instead.

> How can I find the guilty one so I can do very cruel things to it?

I suggest you ask to the author of the starter-kit :)

Let us know if you make progress,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Problem with shift-up
@ 2011-08-19 20:37 ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2011-08-19 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Peter Frings <peter.frings@agfa.com> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> sorry to bother you all again, but my transition to the new emacs is now taking days and I’m getting really frustrated.
>
> I’m trying to find out why shift-arrow on a date/time stamp no longer works with my brand new and shiny set-up.
>
> Emacs 23, org-mode 7.7.
>
> When running a minimal set-up (as described on the worg-FAQ), the shift-arrows keys work as expected: they change the date and time values in org’s timestamps.
>
> When loading the starter-kit from Kieran Healy [1], things are not so smooth. I’ve been disabling all possible packages, trying to isolate the culprit, but to no avail. I searched the web and this mailing list, and found someone else with the same problem [2], but alas, no conclusive answer.
>
> In both cases, 'shift-select-mode’ is t.
>
> With the minimal set-up,  S-up is bound to this (using C-h k):
> <S-up> runs the command org-shiftup, which is an interactive compiled
> Lisp function in `org.el’.
>
> With the starter-kit, it’s:
> <up> (translated from <S-up>) runs the command previous-line, which is
> an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el’.

(windmove-default-keybindings) is called in
starter-kit-keybindings.org, and this does take of the shift +
direction keys. The 'Helpful packages' section of starter-kit-org.org
also looks suspicious.

Best,
Ista

> What the heck is ‘translating’ this key binding? How can I find the guilty one so I can do very cruel things to it?
>
> Pointers very much appreciated!
> Peter.
>
> [1] http://kjhealy.github.com/emacs-starter-kit/
> [2] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/34329

--
Ista Zahn
Graduate student
University of Rochester
http://yourpsyche.org

* Re: Problem with shift-up
@ 2011-08-22  8:09   ` peter.frings
From: peter.frings @ 2011-08-22  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good morning all,

I’ve got some answers for Bastien and Ista below.

On 19 Aug 2011, at 22:10, Bastien wrote:

> Peter Frings <peter.frings@agfa.com> writes:
>
>> When loading the starter-kit from Kieran Healy [1],
>
> AFAIU, this starter-kit relies on the commit c88c76b of Org:
> https://github.com/kjhealy/emacs-starter-kit/tree/master/src
>
> Please make sure to report what your exact version of Org is (M-x
> org-version), that might help.

org-mode 7.7. However, it does not seem like an org problem since it works fine with a minimal org set-up.

>> In both cases, 'shift-select-mode’ is t.
>
> What is the value of `org-support-shift-select'?  Maybe the
> starter-kit is setting this variable.

nil

>> What the heck is ‘translating’ this key binding?
>
> When a composed keybinding like <S-up> does not point to any command,
> Emacs "translates" it to <up> and use the associated command instead.
>
>> How can I find the guilty one so I can do very cruel things to it?
>
> I suggest you ask to the author of the starter-kit :)

Might not be a bad idea :-)

On 19 Aug 2011, at 22:37, Ista Zahn wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Peter Frings <peter.frings@agfa.com> wrote:
>
> (windmove-default-keybindings) is called in
> starter-kit-keybindings.org, and this does take of the shift +
> direction keys. The 'Helpful packages' section of starter-kit-org.org
> also looks suspicious.

Sorry, I forgot to mention… I disabled those windmove-default-keybindings and bound the windmove keys to A-M-left and friends. I also disabled those in the starter-kit-org.

I fear that debugging this issue will take way too much time from my work. I might go back to something simpler, although I was appealed to the neat structure and the use of org mode of setting up emacs. But that same neatness and de-structuring makes the whole thing a bit opaque.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I’m open for more! :-)

Cheers,
Peter.

* Re: Problem with shift-up [solved]
@ 2011-08-22 15:57     ` Peter Frings
From: Peter Frings @ 2011-08-22 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

On 19 Aug 2011, at 22:10, Bastien wrote:

> Let us know if you make progress,

Yes, I did. I did find the offending command. Hooray!

(setq org-replace-disputed-keys t)

Was set in the init.el file of the starter-kit.

Now, is it just me or is the relation between this variable and ‘org-support-shift-select’ slightly confusing?

Anyway, it now works the way I want. Yippie!

Thanks for the patience and the support!

@ 2011-08-23 16:24       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-23 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

Peter Frings <peter.frings@agfa.com> writes:

> Yes, I did. I did find the offending command. Hooray!

Great -- thanks for sharing!

> (setq org-replace-disputed-keys t)
>
> Was set in the init.el file of the starter-kit.
>
> Now, is it just me or is the relation between this variable and
> ‘org-support-shift-select’ slightly confusing?

Mhh...  maybe.  I need to investigate further.  If you have time
to investigate on your side, please share your results!

> Thanks for the patience and the support!

You're welcome,

Best,

--
 Bastien