* Suppress linkification of external links possible?
@ 2009-02-17 11:44 Ulf Stegemann
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-02-17 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

just a quick question: Is it possible to suppress the automagical
linkification of external links? I have a document here for tutorial
purposes which is cluttered with invalid addresses like
'http://gateway.example.org'. Linkification of those addresses is rather
disturbing.

Ulf

* Re: Suppress linkification of external links possible?
@ 2009-02-17 12:20 ` Matthew Lundin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-02-17 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ulf,

Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> just a quick question: Is it possible to suppress the automagical
> linkification of external links? I have a document here for tutorial
> purposes which is cluttered with invalid addresses like
> 'http://gateway.example.org'. Linkification of those addresses is rather
> disturbing.

You can customize the variable org-activate-links and remove "plain"
from the list.

Regards,
Matt

* Re: Suppress linkification of external links possible?
@ 2009-02-17 12:21 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-02-17 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Ulf Stegemann

--- Mar 17/2/09, Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> ha scritto:
> just a quick question: Is it possible to suppress the
> automagical
> linkification of external links? I have a document here for
> tutorial
> purposes which is cluttered with invalid addresses like
> 'http://gateway.example.org'. Linkification of
> those addresses is rather disturbing.

You can write:

1. [[ ][http://gateway.example.org]]
    ^^^ please note the space here
   when converted it should refer to
   http://your-server/yourfile#

2. use valid addresses ;-)

I think that automagially *not* converting will
be disturbing ;-)
Moreover, how can the exporter engine know what are
the correct and the incorrect addresses?

Perhaps we could write the uncorrect addresses as:

+http://gateway.example.org
^^^^

so the exporter "knows" that such links are to be
exported litterarly dropping the "+"

Giovanni

      Passa a Yahoo! Mail.

La webmail che ti offre GRATIS spazio illimitato,
antispam e messenger integrato.
http://it.mail..yahoo.com/

* Re: Suppress linkification of external links possible?
@ 2009-02-17 12:36 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-02-17 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ulf,

a dirty hackish aproach:

(defun sr-no-link (href)
  "Links, that are no links"
  "#")

(setq org-link-abbrev-alist
       '(("man"       . "http://localhost/devel/man.php?q=man&amp;what=%s")
         ;; ... many more ...
         ("dummy" . sr-no-link))

  [[dummy:][http://gateway.example.org]]

It's still displayed as link then, but the browsers do nothing ;-)

Regards,

    Sebastian

Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> just a quick question: Is it possible to suppress the automagical
> linkification of external links? I have a document here for tutorial
> purposes which is cluttered with invalid addresses like
> 'http://gateway.example.org'. Linkification of those addresses is rather
> disturbing.
>
> Ulf

Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Email: s.rose@emma-stil.de, sebastian_rose@gmx.de
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* Re: Suppress linkification of external links possible?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-02-17 12:42 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-02-17 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Haha, this works too:

[[#][http://test.org]]

:)

@ 2009-02-17 12:46   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-02-17 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ulf Stegemann

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
> Hi Ulf,
>
> Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> just a quick question: Is it possible to suppress the automagical
>> linkification of external links? I have a document here for tutorial
>> purposes which is cluttered with invalid addresses like
>> 'http://gateway.example.org'. Linkification of those addresses is rather
>> disturbing.
>
> You can customize the variable org-activate-links and remove "plain"
> from the list.

Hihi - it's that simple :-D

And I'm trying to ... oh please, ignore my answers in this thread :)

--

@ 2009-02-17 13:05   ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-02-17 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thank you for all the quick responses :)

Unfortunately, none of the proposed solutions really applies to the
problem I have (That's however entirely my fault, I should have made
things a bit clearer.).

The workarounds (except for one) concentrate on making a link caused by a
literal invalid address to become a valid link. However, what I like to
achieve is some sort of escaping that prevents org-mode from generating
a link at all (especially for HTML exporting).

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:

> You can write:
>
> 1. [[ ][http://gateway.example.org]]
>     ^^^ please note the space here
>    when converted it should refer to
>    http://your-server/yourfile#

Works, but still creates a link.

> 2. use valid addresses ;-)

Unfortunately, this isn't an option.

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:

> a dirty hackish aproach:
>
> (defun sr-no-link (href)
>   "Links, that are no links"
>   "#")
>
> (setq org-link-abbrev-alist
>        '(("man"       . "http://localhost/devel/man.php?q=man&amp;what=%s")
>          ;; ... many more ...
>          ("dummy" . sr-no-link))
>
>   [[dummy:][http://gateway.example.org]]
>
> It's still displayed as link then, but the browsers do nothing ;-)

Goes in the same direction: a link is still created.

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> You can customize the variable org-activate-links and remove "plain"
> from the list.

This would work (I guess), but is AFAIK to be set globally, thus
resulting in the loss of all other plain text links.

What I was originally looking for was some sort of escape
character/special markup that would prevent creating links at all, like
\http://...\ . This would also allow us to use other markups on plain
text links, something that - AFAIK - is currently not possible (like
=\http:...\=).

Ulf

* Re: Re: Suppress linkification of external links possible?
@ 2009-02-17 15:57     ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-02-17 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Ulf Stegemann

--- Mar 17/2/09, Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> ha scritto:
> What I was originally looking for was some sort of escape
> character/special markup that would prevent creating links
> at all, like
> \http://...\ . This would also allow us to use
> other markups on plain
> text links, something that - AFAIK - is currently not
> possible (like
> =\http:...\=).

what about post processing your HTML file with
an /ad hoc/ function (called e.g. my-replace-esc-hlink [1])?

In your file.org you may write \http://gateway.org
that is exported as:
\<a href="http://gateway.org">http://gateway.org</a>

then open your html buffer and

M-x my-replace-esc-hlink

to cancel the "\<a href="http://gateway.org">" string

HTH
Giovanni

[1]
(defun my-replace-esc-hlink ()
   "In a HTML file, replace escaped http links"
(interactive)
(goto-char (point-min))
 (while (< (point) (point-max))
    (re-search-forward "\\\\<a href=" nil nil )
  (let (x1 x2)
   (progn
    (re-search-backward "<")
    (delete-char -1)
    (setq x1 (point))   ; start
    (re-search-forward ">") ;end
    (setq x2 (point))
    (delete-region x1 x2)  ) ) ) )

@ 2009-02-17 20:40   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-17 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ulf Stegemann

I am always amazed to find out how deep some people dig
into the variables :-)

- Carsten

@ 2009-02-17 21:27     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-17 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 17, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:

> Thank you for all the quick responses :)
>
> Unfortunately, none of the proposed solutions really applies to the
> problem I have (That's however entirely my fault, I should have made
> things a bit clearer.).
>
> The workarounds (except for one) concentrate on making a link caused
> by a
> literal invalid address to become a valid link. However, what I like
> achieve is some sort of escaping that prevents org-mode from
> generating
> a link at all (especially for HTML exporting).
>
> Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:
>
>> You can write:
>>
>> 1. [[ ][http://gateway.example.org]]
>>    ^^^ please note the space here
>>   when converted it should refer to
>>   http://your-server/yourfile#
>
> Works, but still creates a link.
>
>> 2. use valid addresses ;-)
>
> Unfortunately, this isn't an option.
>

> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> a dirty hackish aproach:
>>
>> (defun sr-no-link (href)
>>  "Links, that are no links"
>>  "#")
>>
>> (setq org-link-abbrev-alist
>>       '(("man"       . "http://localhost/devel/man.php?q=man&amp;what=
>> %s")
>>         ;; ... many more ...
>>         ("dummy" . sr-no-link))
>>
>>  [[dummy:][http://gateway.example.org]]
>>
>> It's still displayed as link then, but the browsers do nothing ;-)
>
> Goes in the same direction: a link is still created.
>

> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>
>> You can customize the variable org-activate-links and remove "plain"
>> from the list.
>
> This would work (I guess), but is AFAIK to be set globally, thus
> resulting in the loss of all other plain text links.
>
> What I was originally looking for was some sort of escape
> character/special markup that would prevent creating links at all,
> like
> \http://...\ . This would also allow us to use other markups on plain
> text links, something that - AFAIK - is currently not possible (like
> =\http:...\=).

Indeed, something like =http://a.com= should work, this is a bug.
I have just fixed it.

Using "=" does have a specified markup, but you can change it
or add a new markup by customizing `org-emphasis-alist'.

For example, you could make it look like this:

(("*" bold "<b>" "</b>")
  ("/" italic "<i>" "</i>")
  ("_" underline "<span style=\"text-decoration:underline;\">" "</
span>")
  ("=" org-code "<code>" "</code>" verbatim)
  ("~" org-verbatim "<code>" "</code>" verbatim)
  (";" org-verbatim "<i>" "</i>" verbatim))

where I have added the last line, so that

  ;http://google.com;

will be interpreted verbatim, and typeset in italic.

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: Suppress linkification of external links possible?
@ 2009-02-18  7:51       ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-02-18  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Giovanni,

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:

> --- Mar 17/2/09, Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> ha scritto:
>> What I was originally looking for was some sort of escape
>> character/special markup that would prevent creating links
>> at all, like
>> \http://...\ . This would also allow us to use
>> other markups on plain
>> text links, something that - AFAIK - is currently not
>> possible (like
>> =\http:...\=).
>
> what about post processing your HTML file with
> an /ad hoc/ function (called e.g. my-replace-esc-hlink [1])?
>
> In your file.org you may write \http://gateway.orgthat is exported as:
> \<a href="http://gateway.org">http://gateway.org</a>
>
> then open your html buffer and
>
> M-x my-replace-esc-hlink

thanks for the idea. I was also thinking about using a postprocessing,
maybe by using the completion-function when publishing. Should nothing
else work, I will probably come back to this.

@ 2009-02-18  7:58       ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-02-18  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:
>
>> What I was originally looking for was some sort of escape
>> character/special markup that would prevent creating links at all, like
>> \http://...\ . This would also allow us to use other markups on plain
>> text links, something that - AFAIK - is currently not possible (like
>> =\http:...\=).
>
> Indeed, something like =http://a.com= should work, this is a bug.
> I have just fixed it.

great ... but unfortunately it's not working here. Whenever I try to
export an org file to HTML now, I get 'org-export-normalize-links:
Invalid function: org-if-unprotected-at' (with Emacs 23 and Org Mode
versions as of this morning). This also happens with emacs -Q and a
plain `org-install'.

@ 2009-02-18  8:07       ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-02-18  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann, Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

--- Mar 17/2/09, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> ha scritto:
> > text links, something that - AFAIK - is currently not
> possible (like  =\http:...\=).
>
> Indeed, something like =http://a.com= should work, this is
> a bug.
> I have just fixed it.

here

Org-mode version 6.22b
GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-02-01 on SOFT-MJASON

also +http://a.com+

is exported as a link  whereas +a.com+ is exported
as strikethrough text.

is it the same bug or another?

@ 2009-02-18 12:29         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-18 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 18, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:

> Dear Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 17, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:
>>
>>> What I was originally looking for was some sort of escape
>>> character/special markup that would prevent creating links at all,
>>> like
>>> \http://...\ . This would also allow us to use other markups on
>>> plain
>>> text links, something that - AFAIK - is currently not possible (like
>>> =\http:...\=).
>>
>> Indeed, something like =http://a.com= should work, this is a bug.
>> I have just fixed it.
>
> great ... but unfortunately it's not working here. Whenever I try to
> export an org file to HTML now, I get 'org-export-normalize-links:
> Invalid function: org-if-unprotected-at' (with Emacs 23 and Org Mode
> versions as of this morning). This also happens with emacs -Q and a
> plain `org-install'.

This is defined in org-macs.el.

http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git?a=commitdiff;h=538a536d0da678a753f4e5db17b2e13c6fb1876b

Something must have gone wrong when you updated.  try removing
all .elc files, maybe recompile.

- Carsten

* Re: Suppress linkification of external links possible?
@ 2009-02-18 12:51           ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-02-18 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:
>

>> great ... but unfortunately it's not working here. Whenever I try to
>> export an org file to HTML now, I get 'org-export-normalize-links:
>> Invalid function: org-if-unprotected-at' (with Emacs 23 and Org Mode
>> versions as of this morning). This also happens with emacs -Q and a
>> plain `org-install'.
>
> This is defined in org-macs.el.
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git?a=commitdiff;h=538a536d0da678a753f4e5db17b2e13c6fb1876b
>
> Something must have gone wrong when you updated.  try removing
> all .elc files, maybe recompile.

You are right, it's there and after re-installing org-mode it works like
a charm. I guess, somehow org-macs.el failed to re-compile in the first
place but I really have no idea how this happened.

Anyway, this perfectly solves my problem. Thanks you very much :)

Ulf