* Online manual
@ 2009-06-29 13:24 Shaun Johnson
From: Shaun Johnson @ 2009-06-29 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi All,

I've just visited the online manual (http://orgmode.org/org.html)and I see
it has changed - there is no longer a navigation sidebar.

Is this a mistake or a deliberate change? Did I miss something on the
mailing list?

Thanks,

Shaun Johnson.

* Re: Online manual
@ 2009-06-30  5:03 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-30  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shaun Johnson; +Cc: Org Mode

I think you want:

http://orgmode.org/manual/

- Carsten

On Jun 29, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Shaun Johnson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've just visited the online manual (http://orgmode.org/org.html)and
> I see
> it has changed - there is no longer a navigation sidebar.
>
> Is this a mistake or a deliberate change? Did I miss something on the
> mailing list?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shaun Johnson.

* Re: Online manual
@ 2009-06-30  5:05 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-30  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shaun Johnson; +Cc: Org Mode

Actually, yes, there was a problem, fixed now.

- Carsten

On Jun 29, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Shaun Johnson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've just visited the online manual (http://orgmode.org/org.html)and
> I see
> it has changed - there is no longer a navigation sidebar.
>
> Is this a mistake or a deliberate change? Did I miss something on the
> mailing list?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shaun Johnson.

* Re: Online manual
@ 2009-06-30  8:30   ` Shaun Johnson
From: Shaun Johnson @ 2009-06-30  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Org Mode

Many thanks.

Shaun.

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Actually, yes, there was a problem, fixed now.
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Jun 29, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Shaun Johnson wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've just visited the online manual (http://orgmode.org/org.html)and I
>> see
>> it has changed - there is no longer a navigation sidebar.
>>
>> Is this a mistake or a deliberate change? Did I miss something on the
>> mailing list?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Shaun Johnson.

* Online manual
@ 2013-02-24 16:03 Sebastian Wiesner
From: Sebastian Wiesner @ 2013-02-24 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

how is the online manual of Org mode [1] rendered?  Especially, how is
the awesome table of contents on the right sight created?

I'd like to a publish online manual for an Emacs Lisp project of mine,
however I find the standard rendering of makeinfo somewhat unfancy and
hard to navigate.  The Orgmode manual however looks pretty good.

Greetings,
Sebastian Wiesner

[1]: http://orgmode.org/org.html

* Re: Online manual
@ 2013-02-24 16:37 ` Mike McLean
From: Mike McLean @ 2013-02-24 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Wiesner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 24, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Sebastian Wiesner <lunaryorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> how is the online manual of Org mode [1] rendered?  Especially, how is
> the awesome table of contents on the right sight created?

It is done through CSS and I do something similar with most of my HTML exports. I have a custom CSS that I load by having the following in every Org file.

#+begin_example
#+HTML_STYLE: <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/Users/mlm/Documents/OrgMaster/org/css/org-html.css" />
#+end_example

Into my custom CSS I copied the TOC CSS from the Org mode home page (see below). I may have altered it slightly from what is on Org for colors and such, but I don't recall.

#+begin_example
@media screen {

    /* TOC inspired by http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script */
    #table-of-contents {
        font-size: 10pt;
        position: fixed;
        right: 0em;
        top: 0em;
        background-color: #F3F5F7;
        -webkit-box-shadow: 0 0 1em #777777;
        -moz-box-shadow: 0 0 1em #777777;
        -webkit-border-bottom-left-radius: 5px;
        -moz-border-radius-bottomleft: 5px;
        text-align: right;
        /* ensure doesn't flow off the screen when expanded */
        max-height: 80%;
        overflow: auto;
    }

    #table-of-contents h2 {
        font-size: 10pt;
        max-width: 10em;
        text-decoration: underline;
        padding-left: 0.5em;
        padding-left: 0.5em;
        padding-top: 0.05em;
        padding-bottom: 0.05em;
        margin-bottom: 15px;
        border: none;
    }

    #table-of-contents ul {
        list-style-type: none;
    }

    #table-of-contents #text-table-of-contents {
        display: none;
        text-align: left;
    }

    #table-of-contents:hover #text-table-of-contents {
        display: block;
        padding: 0.5em;
        margin-top: -1.5em;
    }
}

@media print {
    /* TOC inspired by http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script */
    #table-of-contents {
        font-size: 10pt;
        background: white;
    }

    #table-of-contents h2 {
        font-size: 10pt;
        max-width: 10em;
        text-decoration: underline;
        padding-left: 0.5em;
        padding-left: 0.5em;
        padding-top: 0.05em;
        padding-bottom: 0.05em;
        margin-bottom: 15px;
        border: none;
    }

    #table-of-contents ul {
        list-style-type: none;
    }

@ 2013-02-24 16:48   ` Sebastian Wiesner
From: Sebastian Wiesner @ 2013-02-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike McLean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2013/2/24 Mike McLean <mike.mclean@pobox.com>:

> On Feb 24, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Sebastian Wiesner <lunaryorn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> how is the online manual of Org mode [1] rendered?  Especially, how is
>> the awesome table of contents on the right sight created?
>
> It is done through CSS and I do something similar with most of my HTML exports. I have a custom CSS that I load by having the following in every Org file.

So is the Org manual written in Org?  I thought it was written in
Texinfo.  After all, there is a Texinfo document in the Org sources
[1]. Is this Texinfo document generated from some Org document?
Generally, can Org be exported to Texinfo/Info?

[1]: http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/tree/doc/org.texi

* Re: Online manual
@ 2013-02-24 17:52     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-02-24 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Wiesner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Mike McLean

Aloha Sebastian,

Sebastian Wiesner <lunaryorn@gmail.com> writes:

> So is the Org manual written in Org?  I thought it was written in
> Texinfo.  After all, there is a Texinfo document in the Org sources
> [1]. Is this Texinfo document generated from some Org document?

The Org manual is written in texinfo.  A port to Org is in process (see
https://github.com/tsdye/orgmanual.git).

> Generally, can Org be exported to Texinfo/Info?

The development version of Org includes a new exporter framework,
written by Nicolas Goaziou, and a texinfo exporter, written by Jonathan
Leech-Pepin.  Both of these are under development and the current
behavior is expected to change slightly in the weeks ahead.  I believe
the goal is to have a stable texinfo exporter for version 8.0.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye