* broken latex export of footnote from a table cell?
@ 2011-03-12  4:44 Mikhail Titov
From: Mikhail Titov @ 2011-03-12  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello!

This is my first message. I'm excited about org-mode! Thank you for developing such a great tool!

However, I found out that I can't have a footnote in a table cell. If I export such document to LaTeX, I get misplaced footnote:( I'm running MS Windows XP SP3 32 bit.

-----cut-----
#+Title: orgmode to latex epic fail, footnote in a table cell

Works here [fn:: This is a good footnote]. Does it?

#+LATEX: \begin{table}[h]
| /org-version/ | /emacs-version/ | /Why can't I use bold here with */ |
|---------------+-----------------+------------------------------------|
|           7.5 |          23.2.1 | some text[fn:: Why am I here?]     |
#+TBLFM: $1='(message org-version)::$2='(message emacs-version)
#+LATEX: \end{table}

Some text here.
-----cut-----

Mikhail

* Re: broken latex export of footnote from a table cell?
@ 2011-03-12  7:32 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-03-12  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikhail Titov; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Mikhail Titov <mlt@gmx.us> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This is my first message. I'm excited about org-mode! Thank you for =
> developing such a great tool!
>
> However, I found out that I can't have a footnote in a table cell. If I =
> export such document to LaTeX, I get misplaced footnote:( I'm running MS =
> Windows XP SP3 32 bit.
>
> -----cut-----
> #+Title: orgmode to latex epic fail, footnote in a table cell
>
> Works here [fn:: This is a good footnote]. Does it?
>
> #+LATEX: \begin{table}[h]
> | /org-version/ | /emacs-version/ | /Why can't I use bold here with */ |
> |---------------+-----------------+------------------------------------|
> |           7.5 |          23.2.1 | some text[fn:: Why am I here?]     |
> #+TBLFM: $1=3D'(message org-version)::$2=3D'(message emacs-version)
> #+LATEX: \end{table}
>
> Some text here.
> -----cut-----

Footnotes in tables are difficult. Even if you leave out org completely
and just look at latex, things are far from simple. There is a FAQ and
an answer on this topic here:

       http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=footintab

As you can see, things are not simple even if you write in latex. None
of this is implemented in org.

Best advice: don't use footnotes in tables. If you have to use them,
add them in a post-export pass, possibly by formatting the table outside
of org and including it from a separate file.

HTH,
Nick

* RE: broken latex export of footnote from a table cell?
@ 2011-03-14 16:04   ` Mikhail Titov
From: Mikhail Titov @ 2011-03-14 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you, Nicholas!

That explains everything. I wonder how I didn't come across the link you mentioned before. I should have tried that simply in LaTeX.

Mikhail