* babel, beamer: Prevent apostrophe/single quote mangling, so examples can be reused from PDF
@ 2011-11-12  1:35 Mikhail Titov
From: Mikhail Titov @ 2011-11-12  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello!

I’ve picked up some templates from orgmode tutorials and I can successfully create PDF made of beamer slides with babelized R code. The problem is that I can’t reuse text from pdf by copy-pasting like SQL I used in RODBC examples.

At some point all my single quotes are turned into something that is not even on my keyboard and looks like reversed back quote.

I’m not sure if mailing list can pass all these unchanged. I’m getting ’ instead of ' in the output.

What shall I look at to fix this? I really want all text to be easily reusable.

I feel like it is a LaTeX related problem since I see tex file as it is supposed to be. But there must be some workaround or at least warning for babel users of org-mode.

P.S. I typed in message in HTML mode and converted it to plain text later. And it looks like even MS Outlook did this conversion in text :(

P.P.S. I have the following in output tex file if it makes any difference

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

and I'm running MS Windows with latest org mode from git and MikTeX 2.9 .

Mikhail

* Re: babel, beamer: Prevent apostrophe/single quote mangling, so examples can be reused from PDF
@ 2011-11-12  2:20 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-11-12  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikhail Titov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Mikhail Titov" <mlt@gmx.us> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I’ve picked up some templates from orgmode tutorials and I can
> successfully create PDF made of beamer slides with babelized R
> code. The problem is that I can’t reuse text from pdf by copy-pasting
> like SQL I used in RODBC examples.
>
> At some point all my single quotes are turned into something that is
> not even on my keyboard and looks like reversed back quote.
>
> I’m not sure if mailing list can pass all these unchanged. I’m getting
> ’ instead of ' in the output.
>
> What shall I look at to fix this? I really want all text to be easily reusable.
>
> I feel like it is a LaTeX related problem since I see tex file as it
> is supposed to be. But there must be some workaround or at least
> warning for babel users of org-mode.
>
> P.S. I typed in message in HTML mode and converted it to plain text
> later. And it looks like even MS Outlook did this conversion in text
> :(
>
> P.P.S. I have the following in output tex file if it makes any difference
>
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> and I'm running MS Windows with latest org mode from git and MikTeX 2.9 .
>
> Mikhail

Hi Mikhail,

I have seen a similar issue in which code *executed* by R returns weird
nasty quotes.  The following works for me to remove these quotes before
the confuse TeX.

;; Replace nasty single-quotes returned by R.
(add-hook 'org-export-latex-final-hook
          (lambda () (replace-regexp "’" "'")))

Hope this helps -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: babel, beamer: Prevent apostrophe/single quote mangling, so examples can be reused from PDF
@ 2011-11-12  3:17   ` Mikhail Titov
From: Mikhail Titov @ 2011-11-12  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I have seen a similar issue in which code *executed* by R returns weird
> nasty quotes.  The following works for me to remove these quotes before
> the confuse TeX.
>
> ;; Replace nasty single-quotes returned by R.
> (add-hook 'org-export-latex-final-hook
>           (lambda () (replace-regexp "’" "'")))
>
> Hope this helps -- Eric

Probably it was another issue. I've double checked in another text editor that I'm getting correct apostrophes in tex output. I tried with or without your code in dot emacs (I restarted emacs). It is something in LaTeX or some package that triggers it:(

I've came across this http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~ggbaker/reference/characters/#single . It says that for typewriter font LaTeX won't substitute apostrophe with closing single quote. However I thought that verbatim as produced by babel implies typewriter font.

Mikhail