* Write Markdown in Org mode
@ 2021-06-12  9:15 leo
From: leo @ 2021-06-12  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there

I write a lot of Markdown notes. At the moment I use Melpa’s markdown-mode, but I am considering switching to Org mode.

But I’m not sure whether Org mode supports this. In the manual I found an option to *export* to Markdown, but I planning to *write* the notes directly as Markdown.

Is this possible with Org mode?

Many thanks!

* Re: Write Markdown in Org mode
@ 2021-06-12 12:35 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-06-12 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leo; +Cc: orgmode

Hi Leo,

leo writes:

> Hi there
>
> I write a lot of Markdown notes. At the moment I use Melpa’s markdown-mode, but I am considering switching to Org mode.
>
> But I’m not sure whether Org mode supports this. In the manual I found an option to *export* to Markdown, but I planning to *write* the notes directly as Markdown.
>
> Is this possible with Org mode?
>
> Many thanks!

I do not know the characteristics or the contexts of your workflow, but
seen the case from the outside, from what you comment I would say that
it would not have a lot of sense for you to write your Org docs in
Markdown, since Org is also a lightweight markup language, but much more
powerful than Markdown. Org mode is intended to write in Org syntax.

I started writing my notes in Markdown, and when I migrated to Org, I
converted all my old Markdown notes to Org via pandoc.

Anyway, inside an Org document you can write Markdown using a source
block:

#+begin_src markdown
your text in markdown...
#+end_src

If you do C-c ' inside the block, you can edit it in another buffer with
the markdown mode activated[1].

You can also generate a * .md file from that block (see
https://orgmode.org/manual/Extracting-Source-Code.html):

#+begin_src markdown :tangle my-file.md
your text in markdown...
#+end_src

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: Write Markdown in Org mode
@ 2021-06-12 15:14   ` leo
From: leo @ 2021-06-12 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

Gi Juan

On 12 Jun 2021, at 22:35, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:

> Hi Leo,
>
> leo writes:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> I write a lot of Markdown notes. At the moment I use Melpa’s markdown-mode, but I am considering switching to Org mode.
>>
>> But I’m not sure whether Org mode supports this. In the manual I found an option to *export* to Markdown, but I planning to *write* the notes directly as Markdown.
>>
>> Is this possible with Org mode?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>

> I do not know the characteristics or the contexts of your workflow, but
> seen the case from the outside, from what you comment I would say that
> it would not have a lot of sense for you to write your Org docs in
> Markdown, since Org is also a lightweight markup language, but much more
> powerful than Markdown. Org mode is intended to write in Org syntax.
>
> I started writing my notes in Markdown, and when I migrated to Org, I
> converted all my old Markdown notes to Org via pandoc.
>
> Anyway, inside an Org document you can write Markdown using a source
> block:
>
> #+begin_src markdown
> your text in markdown...
> #+end_src
>
> If you do C-c ' inside the block, you can edit it in another buffer with
> the markdown mode activated[1].
>
> You can also generate a * .md file from that block (see
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Extracting-Source-Code.html):
>
> #+begin_src markdown :tangle my-file.md
> your text in markdown...
> #+end_src
>
> Best regards,
>
> Juan Manuel

Good to know. I’m not too keen to learn yet another text markup language, but I might give org mode a try…

Leo

* Re: Write Markdown in Org mode
@ 2021-06-12 15:51     ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-06-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leo; +Cc: orgmode

Hi Leo,

leo writes:

> Good to know. I’m not too keen to learn yet another text markup language, but I might give org mode a try…

It's worth a try! Org markup language is very similar to Markdown. My
advice is that you take from Org only what you need, because Org has so
many features that at first it can saturate you. A Recommended initial
reading may be the compact guide, which gives you a pretty global vision
without going too deep in each aspect: https://orgmode.org/guide/

Best regards,

Juan Manuel