* Org-toggle-checkbox broken in 7.5?
@ 2011-06-10 13:53 "Wikström, Gustav"
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: "Wikström, Gustav" @ 2011-06-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello!

The command C-c C-x C-b has stopped working for me and I quietly blame 7.5 for it. Anyone who can attest or reject this statement?

Best regards

Gustav

* Re: Org-toggle-checkbox broken in 7.5?
@ 2011-06-11 16:55 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-06-11 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Wikström, Gustav" <Gustav.Wikstrom@sogeti.se> writes:

> The command C-c C-x C-b has stopped working for me and I quietly blame
> 7.5 for it. Anyone who can attest or reject this statement?

Mhh, I am on
,----
| ELISP> (emacs-version)
| "GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.3)
|  of 2011-04-10 on raven, modified by Debian"
| ELISP> (org-version)
| "Org-mode version 7.5"
`----
i.e. current stable released "2011-03-07 Iun. Release 7.5.".

Of course, I can not reject the statement that it "has stopped working
for" you, but it works here.

What version did you use before it stopped working?
Did anything else change in your setup?

I guess you are not using the development version, i.e. git or one
of the snapshots (http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz or
org-latest.zip)?!

Memnon

* Re: Org-toggle-checkbox broken in 7.5?
@ 2011-06-11 17:50 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-11 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Wikstr=F6m=2C_Gustav=22?=; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Wikström, Gustav <Gustav.Wikstrom@sogeti.se> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> The command C-c C-x C-b has stopped working for me and I quietly blame 7.5 for it. Anyone who can
> attest or reject this statement?

Works here: Org-mode version 7.5 (baseline.273.g889a48)

Before blaming org, please do your due diligence:

Execute the function by hand, with M-x org-toggle-checkbox RET, and
*report the results*: "it does not work" is just not specific enough,
because it depends on your expectations which may or may not match
reality. If it does nothing, then say so explicitly.

Is the key still bound to the correct function? C-h c C-c C-x C-b will
tell you whether the key is still bound to what it is supposed to be
bound to (org-toggle-checkbox in this case). If not, then you are
probably using some minor mode that hijacks the key.  Check the mode
line for what minor modes you are running, eliminate them one by one and
see if you can get the functionality back.

If this doesn't resolve it, next start up emacs without your
customizations, just a minimal .emacs file that initializes org-mode,
visit the file and do the things above again. I keep a very short
minimal.emacs file for exactly this purpose, start up emacs with

    emacs -q -l ~/minimal.emacs

and try to reproduce the problem.

In 99% of problems, these are enough to identify the culprit.

If you feel a bit adventurous and have the time, you can learn a bit
about debugging (see section 18.2, "Edebug", of the Elisp manual) and
trace the execution of the function. If you don't know elisp, you may
feel somewhat apprehensive about this, but it's a good way to dig deeper
into emacs.

Nick

* Re: Org-toggle-checkbox broken in 7.5?
@ 2011-06-12  6:20 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-06-12  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Wikström, Gustav" <Gustav.Wikstrom@sogeti.se> writes:
> The command C-c C-x C-b has stopped working for me and I quietly blame
> 7.5 for it. Anyone who can attest or reject this statement?

I can't do either or both since you don't tell what exactly isn't
working, but there had been extensive changes to the list stuff before
the 7.5 release and there have been fixes and enhancements to it after
that release.  At least one of those fixes involved the toggle boxes (it
had to do with drawers IIRC), so maybe you should try the newest version
of org and see if that fixes your problem.

Achim.

* Re: Org-toggle-checkbox broken in 7.5?
@ 2011-06-13 13:05   ` "Wikström, Gustav"
From: "Wikström, Gustav" @ 2011-06-13 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Good comments!

I did some tests beforehand but did not try the minimal .emacs.

The key is still bound to the function according to C-h c and M-x org-toggle-checkbox did not do any difference. There is something blocking the function in my initialization though, because when using a minimal init.el it did work! Since it's probably a local error springing from something altered by me I'll continue with the debugging on my own.

Thanks for the input.

/Gustav

@ 2011-06-13 13:24     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-13 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?utf-8?B?Ildpa3N0csO2bSwgR3VzdGF2Ig==?=; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Wikström, Gustav <Gustav.Wikstrom@sogeti.se> wrote:

> Good comments!
>
> I did some tests beforehand but did not try the minimal .emacs.
>
> The key is still bound to the function according to C-h c and M-x
> org-toggle-checkbox did not do any difference. There is something
> blocking the function in my initialization though, because when using
> a minimal init.el it did work! Since it's probably a local error
> springing from something altered by me I'll continue with the
> debugging on my own.

A useful technique for finding such local errors is to systematically
eliminate (about) half of your .emacs and try with the remaining half,
then continue halving, keeping the half that shows the problem.  You can
usually bisect your way through to the problem fairly efficiently.

> Thanks for the input.

Glad it helped.

Nick

@ 2011-06-13 14:22       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-13 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, nicholas.dokos,
	=?us-ascii?Q?=3D=3Futf-8=3FB=3FIldpa3N0csO2bSwgR3VzdGF2Ig=3D=3D=3F=3D?=

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Wikström, Gustav <Gustav.Wikstrom@sogeti.se> wrote:
>
> > Good comments!
> >
> > I did some tests beforehand but did not try the minimal .emacs.
> >
> > The key is still bound to the function according to C-h c and M-x
> > org-toggle-checkbox did not do any difference. There is something
> > blocking the function in my initialization though, because when using
> > a minimal init.el it did work! Since it's probably a local error
> > springing from something altered by me I'll continue with the
> > debugging on my own.

One other possibility is that the function was broken in some orgmode version
for a short while: you might be unlucky enough to update at just the wrong
time and see the problem, but most of us might be using versions either
before the breakage or after the fix.

So another useful thing to do is pull the latest and try it out. Assuming
it works, you can continue with latest or check out an earlier version
that includes the fix (most people do the former, I think).

Nick

@ 2011-06-13 17:11     ` Ido Magal
From: Ido Magal @ 2011-06-13 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Please report back when you identify the issue.

I regularly get latest org and have never gotten org-toggle-checkbox
to do anything.

@ 2011-06-13 18:40       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-06-13 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ido Magal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Ido Magal <ido.magal@gmail.com> writes:

> Please report back when you identify the issue.
>
> I regularly get latest org and have never gotten org-toggle-checkbox
> to do anything.

That's interesting, even if a bit vague. So, when you use C-c C-c on the
following line :

  - [ ] Do that

Really nothing happens ?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Org-toggle-checkbox broken in 7.5?
@ 2011-06-13 20:54         ` Ido Magal
From: Ido Magal @ 2011-06-13 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I grossly misunderstood.  org-toggle-checkbox ( C-c C-c, C-c C-x C-b) works
correctly.

I expected org-toggle-checkbox to toggle from

- item

- [ ] item

and obviously it doesn't do this.

Sorry for the noise.  Carry on.

@ 2011-06-14  6:00           ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-06-14  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ido; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Ido Magal <ido.magal@gmail.com> writes:

> I grossly misunderstood.  org-toggle-checkbox ( C-c C-c, C-c C-x C-b) works
> correctly.
>
> I expected org-toggle-checkbox to toggle from
>
> - item

> - [ ] item
>
> and obviously it doesn't do this.

That's the job of C-u C-c C-x C-b, that is org-toggle-checkbox with an
argument.

Nicolas Goaziou